Amidst the global buzz surrounding the Asian Games, how can one overlook the historic 2023 edition, the second-largest multi-sport event in the world after the Olympics. India's outstanding performance at this edition marked a remarkable improvement from their previous best of 70 medals achieved in 2018.
Also, in a historic moment, India clinched its first-ever gold medal in cricket. This victory reflects the tireless efforts of the nation's athletes and coaches in Asian sports.
The Asian Games is held every four years and open to athletes from across Asia (as the name suggests) which is globally recognized by the International Olympic Committee.
Now, let’s delve into this article to learn more about the Asian Games 2023 which also holds significance from competitive exams point of view.
History of Asian Games
The Asian Games was born from the vision of Guru Dutt Sondhi after World War II. It made its debut in New Delhi in 1951, succeeding the Far Eastern Championship Games.
Initially overseen by the Asian Games Federation until 1978, these games have been regulated by the Olympic Council of Asia since 1982.
Asian Games being represented by a rising sun intertwined with rings have seen 9 nations host and 46 nations participate, with Israel abstaining since 1974.
With a diverse history of 44 sports, India, a founding member and inaugural host, has consistently ranked among the top 10 medal-winners, joining Japan as the only nations to secure gold in every event.
Asian Games 2023 Winners List (India)
India ended with 28 gold, 38 silver and 41 bronze to a total of 107 medals.
- Tejaswin Shankar - national record in men’s decathlon (7666 points)
- Vithya Ramraj - equalled national record in women's 400m hurdles (55.42s)
- Vithya Ramraj, Muhammad Ajmal, Rajesh Ramesh and Subha Venkatesan - national record in mixed 4x400m relay (3:14.34)
- Avinash Sable - Asian Games record in men's 3000m steeplechase (8:19:53)
- Sift Kaur Samra - world record in women’s 50m rifle 3 positions final (469.6 points)
- Sift Kaur Samra - Asian Games record in women’s 50m rifle 3 positions qualification (594)
- Rudrankksh Patil, Aishwary Pratap Singh Tomar and Divyansh Singh - world record in men’s 10m air rifle team (1893.7)
- Aishwary Pratap Singh Tomar, Swapnil Kusale and Akhil Sheoran - world record in men’s 50m rifle 3 positions team (1769)
- Aishwary Pratap Singh Tomar - Asian Games record in 50m rifle 3 positions men's qualification (591)
- Manu Bhaker, Esha Singh and Rhythm Sangwan - junior world record in women’s 25m pistol (1759)
- Palak Gulia - Asian Games record in women’s 10m air pistol (242.1)
- Kynan Chenai, Zoravar Singh Sandhu and Prithviraj Toindaman - Asian Games record in men’s trap team (361)
- Sarabjot Singh, Divya TS - Asian Games record in 10m air pistol mixed team qualification (577)
- Srihari Nataraj - national record in men’s 200m freestyle (1:49.05)
- Srihari Nataraj, Tanish George Mathew, Vishal Grewal and Anand Shylaja - national record in men’s 4x100m freestyle (3:21.22)
- Aryan Nehra, Aneesh Gowda, Kushagra Rawat and Tanish George Mathew - national record in men’s 4x200m freestyle (7:29.04)
- Srihari Nataraj, SP Likith, Sajan Prakash, Tanish George Matthew - national record in men’s 4x100m medley (3:40.20)
- Maana Patel, Dhinidhi Desinghu, Janhvi Choudhary and Shivangi Sarma - national record in women’s 4x100m freestyle (3:53.80)
- Dhinidhi Desinghu, Shivangi Sarma, Vritti Agarwal and Hashika Ramachandra - national record in women’s 4x200m freestyle (8:37.58)
- Men's sprint team (Yanglem Rojit Singh, David Beckham Elkatohchoongo, Ronaldo Singh Laitonjam and Esow Alben) - national record (44.609)
- Aditi Gopichand Swami - Asian Games record in women’s compound archery (149)
- Jyothi Surekha Vennam - equalled the Asian Games record in women’s compound archery (149)
- Ojas Pravin Deotale - Asian Games record in men’s individual compound archery (150-7x)
- Ojas Pravin Deotale and Jyothi Surekha Vennam - Asian Games record in mixed team compound ranking round (1413)
- Ojas Pravin Deotale and Jyothi Surekha Vennam - Asian Games record in mixed team compound match - 159
Medal Standings of Nations in Asian Games 2023
||People's Republic of China
||Republic of Korea
||Hong Kong, China